Oracle, the long and winding road to insanity

Can we say Oracle?  I have been on a deep dive into the land of Oracle 12c for the past two weeks.  Oracle has come a long way since my first encounter the the database during the last century with 8i.  I love the fact that Oracle now has it's own Linux distribution and it works.  Java installers work beautifully with SSH X11 exporting.  Yeah, you still have to know your way around some of the Oracle command line silliness, but that is to be expected.

IMHO Oracle 12c is now a lot like Microsoft SQL in that Oracle now uses a concept called container databases.  With Oracle 12c you can have multiple plug-able databases in a container that you can start and stop independently of each other.  This is similar to MS SQL server in that MS SQL has multiple databases in an instance that you can manage independently.

So I am glad that Oracle is moving in a new direction that I can wrap my head around.  i am sure that I do not have it all figured out, but so far I really like Oracle 12c.  now I want to build something with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Friends and places

PHP Web Store

Looking for another camera.