Ohio Self Portrait, What is Possible

I am drawing a portrait that may be a self portrait.  I have been working on the drawing in the hotel after my training.  I never know where a drawing is going until after I finish it.  this drawing depicts a male with dreadlocks and a checkered shirt. I started the drawing on Wednesday and I worked on it Thursday after class from about 4:00 PM until 2:00 AM on Friday morning.

This is the second portrait that I have done in recent years.  I have a limited arsenal of things that I like to draw that can be easily recognized in my art, but portraits of humans is one that I like.  Usually my drawings are so abstract that they mainly consist of wild blends of color that leave the viewer with the task of figuring out what they are looking at.  That is the main goal of my drawings, I want to draw nothing that the viewer has seen before and at the same time draw something that allows the viewer to feel that they see something in the drawing that is familiar.

Drawing a self portrait is something that I have not done in a long time.  I think that the last time that I drew one it was a pen and ink drawing and I may still have it.  My hair is about as long as it was when I was in my twenties back in the 1970's.  I believe that artist draw themselves for several reasons.  One reason is that they want to continue to explore how to create art from the human face.  Another reason is that they want the viewer to see how the artist sees themselves.  Currently I have chosen to draw myself because I am at a point in my life when I feel very peaceful and confident with my being me.

Happy in being me does not mean that my life is a bowl full of cherries.  There are several aspects of my life that I would like to transform, but for the essence of my being I am confident enough to sit in a room and draw a portrait of myself and like it.  There is a saying that you have to get up each day and look your self in the mirror.  When I talk about looking at yourself in the mirror and drawing yourself I am not in the realm of vanity.  I am looking at myself in the realm of self awareness and confidence that I am who I create and that my possibilities that I create are real and possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Friends and places

PHP Web Store

Looking for another camera.