Run what you brung, no matter where you are.

Today I created the possibility for running in the Snickers Mardi Gras Festival Marathon in 2011.  This marathon is held each year in Albany, Georgia on March 5, 2011. I have completed my hiatus from running.  My long break from running came when I completed a 62 mile trail run in January 2009. I had to stop running because I could not afford to buy running shoes due to my immense credit card debt.  I have since paid off all of my credit cards, started a new job in a new city, so I started running again this month.



Starting to run again allowed me to break a barrier that I have been through before.  Even though I am nowhere near to the physical condition I was in when I ran 100k in 16 hours, my mental state is unstoppable.  I know that I can train myself back to the level so that I can run 26 miles on the road. I had great coaching when I was taking running classes in Austin Texas.  I am starting off slow and I will gradually build up my running distance and speed through patience and balanced workouts.



Albany Georgia does not have a huge network of trails or high end running stores like Austin Texas.  There are a lot of things that do not exist in Albany.  The closest Whole Foods is three hours away in Atlanta.  I cannot remember when the last time that I say any aircraft in the sky over Albany.  There is a regional airport, but I never see anything flying over Albany, no helicopters or single engine planes.



So instead of lamenting about what is not in Albany, Georgia I am cherishing what is in this city.  I work at Albany State University (ASU).  The ASU campus is right in the Flint River.  There is a paved river trail that goes from downtown 2.4 miles to a lake created by a dam.  Having access to a track and an earth dike at the ASU campus gives me a place to do some hill work and some speed work right next to my office.



I do have a renewed confidence in how I run.  When I first started running (again) in 2001, I had never run for more than 10k.  I had stopped running way beck in my mid 30’s. I ran 100k when I was 56, and I loved every minute of the run.  Now after completing 4.5 miles today, my longest walk run in Albany, I do not have to wonder if I can run any further, I know I can.  Being in the present and knowing that you are unstoppable in your goals is powerful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Friends and places

PHP Web Store

Looking for another camera.