Nubian Diamond Dawg Flower Child

[caption id="attachment_1352" align="alignleft" width="200" caption="Nubian Flower Child circa 1980"]Nubian Flower Child circa 1980[/caption]



So where did this drawing come from? Well for this drawing I got the inspiration from a drawing for my comic book that I drew in 1980. I do not know why I have a fascination with drawing portraits with my bizarre hippie trippie style.  When I started drawing this image I thought that I was drawing a woman.  As I now look at the finished work it sort of looks like a man.  A lot of my drawings start out one way and end up another way.



I am a very moody person and my drawings reflect the way I am feeling.  On one level my art conveys my emotional state during the time that I am working on the drawing. For example when I draw portraits that are smiling, I am happy and when I draw portraits with a sad look, I am sad.  So this drawing the Nubian Flower Child has a dazed look.  This is how I felt during the course of creating this drawing.  The end of the year is always a time for me to tune out and try to duck all of the Christmas chaos that everyone seems to get. What is the Christmas sprit? Is it a good feeling or a bad feeling? For me it is just a feeling that sort or radiates all year. The drawing has an aura of diamonds with a blue glow around the face of the Nubian.



The Diamond Dawg reference is to David Bowie's album Diamond Dogs. I spell dogs dawgs because I live in Georgia since 1/11/2010. There are so many Georgia State logos all over with the Bulldog so I decided to spell it the same way.  I love David Bowie's music so when I think about Ziggy Stardust and the Spider's from Mars my mind always wondered how the words to his music would look.  A lot of my drawings are influenced by music.



[caption id="attachment_1350" align="alignleft" width="200" caption="Nubian Diamond Dwag Flower Child"]Nubian Diamond Dwag Flower Child[/caption]



So what does a diamond dawg look like.  Well in my world an afro hair-do with diamonds and a face with long bull dog jowls. Most of the time my art is a mashup of lots of things that are rolling around in my head.



This drawing took about 18 days with 5 to 7 hours of work in the evenings while watching Netflix.  I am in the middle of season three, the final season of Veronica Mars.  I discovered this series about two months ago.  My last two drawings were done watching this series.  The Veronica Mars storyline takes place in a town and highschool similar to the one that I went to.  I went to La Jolla High in San Diego.  Veronica Mars went to Neptune High in Balboa County.  I love watching TV series that were filmed oin southern California where I grew up.  I can spot places in southern California in scenes where I have been.  I always enjoy trying to figure where stuff is or which beach they are really at.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Friends and places

PHP Web Store

Looking for another camera.