Getting to Know Albany, Gerogia

[caption id="attachment_1101" align="alignleft" width="200" caption="Flint River Dam"]Flint River Dam[/caption]



I have been living in Georgia since January 10, 2010. I started working at Albany State University (ASU) on January 11,2010. The surroundings here in Albany are laid back but at ASU my brain gets a real challenge.



This weekend Sylvia and I went to the dam in North Albany on the Flint River. We were sitting in Carino's restaurant and the waiter asked us why we had moved to Albany. We have had this question asked to us several times since we arrived. Sometimes it seems like a trick question. Anyway we told him that we came here because I had a job at ASU. There was the usual response from the waiter, a sigh of relief. I am always quick to respond with the fact that we really like Albany's quality of life and the nice break from the hustle bustle that is in big cities. We like the fact that even waiters take the time to find out who you are.



So this waiter told us about this neat spot that locals go right below the dam and we decided to check it out. There is an old Georgia Power plant with a boat ramp and lots of places for fishermen to sit and enjoy the roar of the river going over the spillway.



[caption id="attachment_1107" align="alignleft" width="200" caption="Lake Chehaw"]Lake Chehaw[/caption]



I took several pictures and I imagine that when I come back to this spot in the spring and summer it will look totally different.  It is nice to discover a new part of the country in the winter time first.  You can see landmarks clearly when the trees do not have leaves.  You are looking at nature when it is dormant.  The trails are not surrounded by tall grasses, bugs and snakes.



The view of the lake behind the dam is really beautiful.  Lake Chehaw is the largest lake in Albany, GA.  Lake Worth is a smaller lake just north of Lake Chehaw but is still part of the Flint River waterway behind a second smaller dam. I can not wait until the summer to see how the community comes out to enjoy this natural resource.



We looked at a open house that has a boat dock right on the north shore of Lake Chehaw. I have always wanted to own a house on a lake. Maybe this will be the lake of my dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Friends and places

PHP Web Store

Looking for another camera.