Life is a game, play it and complain

This blog entery gets it title from a phrase in the song Accidents by Thunderclap Newman.


I have come to realize that my attitude towards life was shaped in a large way by the music that I listened to as a teen.  This song did not fully materialize into my consciousness until after I had completed the Landmark Forum.  Once I realized that I could make up games and set goals for myself to help me get what I wanted out of life I truly felt liberated.

The key paradigm shift to the accidents song is that when you are complaining about the game you need to hear this as being coached by yourself or your environment.  Let me give you a real life example.

Right now I am playing a game that I have not played in a long time.  The first time that I played this game was when I lived in Portland Oregon.  The name of the game is Bike Commute more miles to work than you drive your truck to work. The rules are simple, I will ride my bike to work more than I drive my truck to work.  Instead of complaining that I have no time to exercise or that I get bored when I drive, i make a game out of my having the need to get to work and then get home.

This game helps me on days like last night and today when it is cold outside and I just am not inspired to ride to work or ride home.  This is when the the lyrics of the song kick in and I complain about my game and I laugh at myself because it is a game that I invented.

On a side note, if you listened to the song you will notice the wide variety of musical styles used in the song. The wild variation in musical styles and moods is why I loved this track as a teen and as an adult still appreciate the way it makes me feel when I listen to it.  Can you imaging a radio station playing songs like this?  Well way back in the old days FM radio stations would play music like this.  To this day I get so bored with segregated music stations and playlists.  I love Pandora Radio and my ability to create stations that reflect my eclectic musical tastes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Friends and places

PHP Web Store

Looking for another camera.