Yep, I was (still am) a Hippie

Music Sets Me Free

Ever since I can remember I loved music.  I grew up in a house where my mother, La Verne, was a music teacher and taught piano lessons in our home.  My mom was also an elementary school teacher and played and sang in choirs at church.

For my fifth birthday my mom took me and my sister Deborah and brother Vance to see the movie South Pacific in Hollywood, CA. I had already been listening to recorded classical music on a set of Columbia records at home. This movie and the music to this day sends my mind to far away places.

What is a Hippie?

Wikipedia defines a hippie like this:
hippie (or hippy) is a member of a subculture that was originally a youth movement that emerged in the United States during the mid-1960s and spread to other countries around the world. Read More
Anyway I started to think about the music that I use to own when I was in high school and wondered if I could find it on Spotify.  Much to my surprise there is a lot of what I would consider obscure music on Spotify.  These albums are not even in print anymore, but I am glad that I decided to switch from Pandora One this year to a paid subscription to Spotify.  I like being able to build a play list and find specific songs by the artist that I love and not just listen to radio stations based on  seeded artist which generate a genera station.  I did discover a lot of new music during the three years that I listened to Pandora however.

My dad was a minister in the A.M.E. church. I remember when I played him the song "Prodigal Son" from the Rolling Stone's album "Beggars Banquet".  My dad had explained this story from the Bible to me several times.  This album and this song are one of my favorites because each time I listen to it I see myself as the Prodigal son and I am going to see my dad one day and he will welcome me home.

I got to thinking about sharing a list of some of the music that sort of shaped my personality after writing a post on Google+ last week. So below are just a few of the albums that I owned in vinyl or listened to on late night FM radio stations when I was a kid, teenager and as a young adult.

South Pacific

 

Oaklahoma!

 

Jimi Hendrix






Laura Nyro


Cream

 

Muddy Waters

 

The Electric Flag

 

Big Brother & The Holding Company
(AKA Janis Joplin)



Grateful Dead

Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper

 

Cold Blood

 

Flying Burrito Brothers

 

Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen

 

Tower of Power

 

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

 

Bonnie Raitt

 

Traffic

 

Rolling Stones

 

Frank Zappa

 

David Crosby

 

Update on 6/30/2015

These artist are not listed in any particular order. I am adding some musicians that I forgot about yesterday.  I remembered these artists this morning as I was riding my bike to work.

The Allman Brothers Band

 

The Jefferson Airplane

 

Fairport Convention

 

Update on 7/1/2015

These artist are not listed in any particular order. I am adding some musicians that I forgot about yesterday.  I remembered these artists this morning as I was riding my bike to work.

Taj Mahal

 

Joni Mitchell

 

Led Zeppelin

 

Update on 7/2/2015

I thought I was going to cap this list at 25. Apparently I am remembering a lot of musicians from my early years during my morning commute.

The Who

 

The Moody Blues

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Friends and places

PHP Web Store

Looking for another camera.