Clonezilla

I wanted to add a larger hard drive to my computer running Windows Vista.  I had filled up a 250GB drive that was out of space.  I wanted to clone the drive and put the contents on a 1TB drive.  I used Clonezilla to do this.

I downloaded the Clonezilla ISO file and burned it to a CD using a program called Tuxboot.  I inserted my new drive and rebooted the computer from the ISO.  I followed the instructions and 1 hour later I had cloned my drive.

I rebooted my computer on the new drive and I got a Windows error that the drive would not boot and that I should insert the Windows Vista media to fix the error.  I could not find my Vista media at the moment, so I booted from the original drive.  I found that the cloned drive had been written to the 1TB drive with the original partition.  I used Windows disk manager to resize the partition to the full 1TB disk.

When I found my Vista media I rebooted the computer using the cloned drive and fixed the boot error.  Then I rebooted and the new cloned drive worked.

Clonezilla is open source software and it works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Friends and places

PHP Web Store

Looking for another camera.