Good bye 2011 and welcome to 2012

Another year has past and now a new year begins. Not sure why we place so much importance on the passing of a year, but this is my annual posting to express my reflections on the passing of time. This holiday season I kept the lowest profile ever. When I still had my kids in the house holidays were focused on their enjoyment.  I have many fond memories of holidays with them.  Now that they are not around each year the holidays get less of my attention.

Normally I like to live each day like any other and not place a lot of importance on special days. This is the first time in about 5 years that I have taken more than a week of continous vacation.  So for me the end of the year usually means that I have a time to stand down from work and spend time with family and friends. Giving the gift of presence and being in the moment is how I want to live every day.  Every day is special if you want it to be special.

This year I spent two weeks with my wife brother  John and his wife Phyllis. Sylvia and I flew out to Santa Rosa California and we spent time among northern California's finest wine drinking organic food eating hippies. I even got to drive a Toyota Prius for a few hundred miles along the coast.

Once Sylvia and I returned home we watched two end of the world movies. We watched 2012 and Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines. No matter how bad the future mat seem it is always good to know that a movie can make reality look better.

Every time I go back to California I sort of get home sick.  This time I felt like a long lost visitor. Yeah it is cool to have a Whole Foods and a Fry's, but the small houses and traffic I do not miss a bit. It is refreshing to visit California but after living for two years in SW Georgia it is always good to be in a place that feels like home.

One facet of my life will be transformed in 2012 and that is my diet.  When I moved to Texas I sort of gave up on eating healthy foods.  Even though I was running and biking I felt that my health and diet were OK.  Now that I am in Georgia I have not been as active as I would like and by eating habits have been not so good. My excuse has been that there is not a good source for organic foods in my area so I will just eat what is available.  Well I am going to trasform this attitude and support my wife's efforts in eating more organic fruits and vegetables.  I use to work in a health food juice bar and that experience made a powerful impression on what I eat.  Most times having the knowledge is not enough to make a transformation, you have to choose it make the effort to reach your goal. So for 2012, more smoothies, home made juices and less fast food.

I will continue to take each day as it comes and I look forward to the many experiences that I will have in 2012.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Friends and places

PHP Web Store

Looking for another camera.